Song: Ulali, “Mother,” Heartbeat: Voices of First Nations Women CD, World Music, 1995.
The Otahpiaaki Fashion Week Community Quilt
You Will Need Six Yards Scoured Cotton Fabric:
- Divide 2 yards into four half-yard pieces and a one-yard piece.
- Divide each of the half-yard pieces in half to make eight 18”x22” units. These will become our quilt squares
- Bind into four pairs of circle designs. Used found objects to embed into cloth to make circle. I used both the ring and flat disk from canning jar lids, and Spider Woman design.
- Bind the 1-yard of fabric with wide pleats in Little Canoe. Will be cut into strips.
- Bind the 1-yard of fabric in a narrow width pleats in Little Canoe. Will be cut into strips.
- Twist and bind the remaining 2-yards of fabric. Will be used for freeform improvisational cutting.
|Our goal is to make hand made matching circular designs. The two were made with embedded Mason jar lids.|
|These were made with embedded Mason jar lids and cotton sinew.|
|This is Ksisówáwakaasaakii (Spider Woman) Design created with tobacco twine.|