Indigenous Online Learning 101: Fast Track
Kainai Studies 120: Blackfoot Ways of Knowing
Red Crow Community College
Red Crow Elder: Georgette Fox
Red Crow Instructor: Jeannie Smith-Davis
Volunteer Indigenous Teaching Artist: Carola Jones
Step #1: Understanding The Seed2Runway Project: Marks of Resistance Online. This project is about participating in “The 100 Year Plan” of educating children. The school is Tatsikiisaapo”p Middle School on the Kainai Reserve in Alberta, Canada. The classroom art teacher is Olivia Rose Tailfeathers, and the students are the indigo dye workshop participants. Blackfoot Textiles are continuing to transmit cultural history and traditions, and the goal of Marks of Resistance online is to transfer knowledge to empower children.
- As homework, we will study the following contemporary Blackfoot Fiber Art Designers:
- Heather Crowshoe Couture by Heather Crowshoe, Piikani Nation
- The Chief’s Daughter by Karli Crowshoe, Piikani Nation
- Maatsowakii Creations by Tobi Davis, Kainaiwa & Piikani Nations
- Northern Plains Design by Carol Mason, Kainai Nation
Marks of Resistance Online is sponsored by DJ’s Fibershed, a non-profit, specializing in growing indigo, madder and marigolds in an urban garden as natural color for dyeing NC Toisnot Tuscarora medicine cloth. It’s in honor of Doris “DJ” Jones who dying prayers manifested sharing this knowledge into reality.